Afiqq Blog

11 February 2005

Polish Golf Cart

i've not been blogging for this 2 days of hari raya lunar cos i was working and i slept at my auntie's house at tampines.

my auntie had a friend who works at Tanah Merah Country Club and she needs 3 people to work for 2 days during the chinese new year. me and my siblings took the opportunity and off we went to my auntie's house. my auntie asked us to sleep there cos tampines is near to tanah merah, so its easier to go there.

1st day, we woke up at 7, and went to bedok to get the transport bus there. reaching there, me and my sis followed one of the worker who's a malaysian indian, and went to the resting place for the workers at this big store that stores golf carts. i sit with my sis, waiting for them to tell us to do the polishing. from 8am to 10am, we waited, one by one, the workers came in, looked at us, then they go out, well one of them i manage to like talk2 a bit, but after that, i felt like SHIT. it was painful. its like the first day of school but 10 times worse, even though i had my sis but i just felt so awkward, i felt like going home. (I think this is the main reason why i do not want to work). but after we start polishing the golf cart, then i feel ok.

the worst part was, trying to talk to the workers, they were not sombong, but it was the most hardest thing ever, trying to find ideas or topic so that they won't think that i'm sombong and so i tried so hard to mingle with them. Its because i'm the type of person who don't talk. i'm a shy person. my old2 friends should know lah.

but then one day, one of the workers, named Kumar, ask me if i wanna ride the golf cart, well i said ok. he told me to get a rug and wipe off the wet seats of the carts which had just washed. he told me to drive the thing!!! Shit! first time i tried, the cart hits the side wall, but after that it was ok. the hardest part was to park the cart. the best part was when i press the GO pedal and it moves! It moves! i turn the steering wheel and the carts turns! Wow! So now i know how driving a car feels like, except that the cart got no gear la, they only got a button to go forward and reverse.

so the 1st day was kinda ok.

the 2nd day, the awkward feelings came back. but for a while, this time, its a bit easier to mingle around with the workers. then i polish a few my carts. and that's about it.

so what have i learn:
1. since it was the first time i polish carts, i was mesmerized when i wipe off the wax and the carts looked so new! so now i know how polished cars looked like.

2. after i've tried driving the carts, i realised i can learn parking cars using the golf cart. and now i know how it feels like driving a 4 wheel vehicle.

3. working as a cleaner (which includes the jobs the workers were doing like washing, blowing off dried leaves, wash toilets) is much better than working in the office because you have some freedom to do other things like driving the carts, you can make your own break time schedule some more. work in the office is totally boring because you just sit down and look at the computer.

4. you are actually doing morning exercise while you work. first day, i was sweating alot till my hair were wet with sweat, droplets of sweat fell to the surface of the cart while i was wiping it.

its a good experience for me to do this kind of job. thanks to my auntie, i got the exposure of how the cleaner work looks like.